an instructional introductory course
Walking Distance: 2 km approximately
Difficulty: Moderate – this is a fitness activity
Cost for course only: $40.00
Course, poles & instructional video:
Learn Nordic Walking on beautiful Bowen Island. Nordic walking is a low impact exercise that works 90% of the body’s muscles and burns 20-46% more calories than regular walking. Nordic walking is an adaptable fitness activity that is suitable for people of all ages and most fitness levels. The scenic trails of Crippen Park are a beautiful place to learn the basics of the Rutlin technique of Nordic walking.
Benefits of Nordic Walking:
- 20-46% higher caloric expenditure
- 25% increased cardiovascular workout
- improves posture
- highly effective for core muscle strengthening
- reduced impact on lower-body joints, knees, hips and ankles
- increased stability and balance
- effective gait retraining tool
- helps reduce neck, back and shoulder pain and improves range of motion in upper body
Things you should know:
- Please wear good walking shoes, such as runners, as you will be walking on mixed and uneven surfaces.
- Nordic walking sessions run rain or shine so please wear appropriate clothing.
- A completed Par-Q Form and Nordic Walking Waiver need to be submitted with registration.
- This tour starts at the Visitor Information Centre, Snug Cove.
- Private and semi-private classes are available by request. Please phone or email to discuss details.
- Your instructor, Jody Lorenz, is a Bowen Island resident and an experienced and certified Nordic walking instructor.